The Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board (JAMB) has set 160 and above as cut off mark for 2020 admissions into universities.
Prof. Is-haq Oloyede, The Registrar of the board, made this public during a presentation of the policy considerations at the 2020 Policy Meeting on Admissions to Tertiary Institutions on Tuesday in Abuja.
Oloyede said the cut off mark into Polytechnics is 120 and Colleges of Education and Innovation Enterprise Institutions pegged at 100 and above.
Minister of Education, Adamu Adamu on his own part said he has directed JAMB and tertiary institutions to proceed with the conduct of their 2020/2021 admissions which will commence in August.
“As major stakeholders, we must jointly come up with reactions that would realign our programmes to these new realities.
“JAMB and tertiary institutions could take advantage of the current situation, consider candidates with previous years SSCE and other qualifying results, to proceed on with the admission process.
“Whatever arrangement that the country comes up with in the long run will surely accommodate those who will be taking the examination when the opportunity to do so is worked out.”
Speaking on the admission statistics for 2019, Oloyede said that 612,557 candidates were offered admission but 510,957 admission spaces remained unused by the institutions.
He added that only 1,157,977 candidates who had the required five credits with English and Mathematics, sat for its Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination (UTME) last year.